What is SR-22 insurance?

An SR-22 is not an insurance policy; it’s simply a financial responsibility form proving that you have insurance coverage. An SR-22 is filed with your state by your insurance company and certifies that you carry the minimum liability coverage on your car insurance policy. If you do not own a motor vehicle, you must purchase “non-owners” liability coverage. If you’re not currently insured, this could cause your driving privileges to be revoked.

An SR-22 must be submitted from the home office of the insurance company. The issuing insurance company must be authorized to write financial responsibility insurance in your state and have a “power of attorney” on file in your state. Our office maintains a listing of authorized agents and companies.

Do I need an SR-22?

An SR-22 requirement can be issued by the state or a judge and is usually required for three consecutive years. SR-22, or high risk auto insurance, can be required of drivers for a variety of reasons, including:

  1. Driving without auto insurance
  2. Driving under the influence (DUI)
  3. Driving with a suspended or revoked license
  4. Other major moving violations such as reckless driving
  5. Three moving violations within 12 months
  6. Unsatisfied judgment suspensions
  7. Being found at-fault in an accident while driving uninsured

Do you need SR-22 insurance? Give us a call at 800-467-8733 and a knowledgeable insurance advisor will help you through the process.

How Long Do I Need an SR-22?

Expect a long relationship with your SR-22 — most likely three years. You must carry continuous insurance during the specified period of time before SR-22 status is removed. If your policy lapses or is canceled, your auto insurance company is required to notify the state immediately and your license will be suspended again.

If you are an InsureOne customer, we’ll cancel or terminate an SR-22 by filing a separate form with the state (an SR-26 in many states), generally 10 days before the SR-22’s expiration.

We’ll file the actual SR-22 form with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to show proof of insurance for you. Once we file your SR-22, your license suspension will be removed and you can drive again legally.

Note: SR-22s are state specific — what’s required in one state may not apply in another state.

How do I get an SR-22?

If you’re looking for cheap SR-22 insurance, InsureOne can help. We’ll help you find the right coverage at a price you can afford. Give us a call at 800-467-8733 to talk to one of our expert insurance agents who can answer your questions and help you obtain an SR-22.